Sunday, June 22, 2008

I am not a sell out.

It seems that everywhere I look, people are harping on new graduates for entering the real world/anything other than public service after college.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/23/education/23careers.html?hp

I'm so tired of it. I wish people had this discussion before I mapped out my career path and accepted an offer, but now I instead feel like I was forced to march blindly, make a decision, and apparently, I am somehow a sheep. It's taken the good I've felt about all that I've been doing and made it feel somehow like it's not enough, and I should've done something different. I even almost feel bad for having thought about money when choosing a job. Was it bad that my parents were threatening to kick me out and I wanted to be financially secure when I graduated? Is it bad if I did not want to live on $1 a day by choice? Is it bad that I want to start saving money for grad school/my own production company/a house/travel/a future?

I don't think that choosing to work is inevitably the wrong choice. Three speeches and an article later, I'm tired of the propaganda that it is. And I'm tired of contemplating whether I made the wrong decision.

No comments: